Tuesday, April 16, 2013

DIY Terrarium Mushrooms




Terrarium popularity has come and gone since it was first discovered by accident in 1827.  I got a book on terrariums from a thrift store a while back(printed in the 70's) and it gave a brief history that I found so interesting.  After their discovery terrariums were used by horticulturalists to bring back sensitive tropical plants by boat.  Normally the salty sea air and the climate changes would prevent plants from making the long voyage so this accidental invention was not only keeping plants alive for research but also for pleasure.  As I'm sure you have noticed terrariums are everywhere right now.  It probably has something to do with the movement of DIY growing and gardening.  Or maybe just the appreciation of having living things in your home, whatever the reason may be I like it!

I made some miniscule mushrooms as ornaments to fit in a small terrarium and I will show you how to make them too!


I started by picking a color scheme and finding some fimo/sculpy in the colors I wanted.

Knead the modeling clay for 2 minutes till nice an squishy, shape a small piece in to a 3D triangle shape.  Using a toothpick or a special sculpy tool, make a crater in the bottom of the cap.  That is there you will push the stalk.  


 Roll some white fimo between your fingers to make it long, shape the end of it to get a tear drop shape.  Using wire cutters, cut some thin non-coated wire about 2" long.  Push the wire up the middle of the stalk till it comes out the other side.  Continue pushing until it reaches the cap, go into the cap about 1/8"


Experiment with different shaped mushroom caps.  To add the dots, roll tiny bits of clay between your fingers and push firmly onto the cap.  Wait till the cap has hardened a bit before you add the dots to avoid squishing the caps into odd shapes. Bake clay according to the package, I baked mine for 225 degrees for 15 minutes.  After the mushrooms have cooled cut wire down to desired length.




Oops!  I made WAY too many!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute and easy idea! I'll definitely be making some of these :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...